Now that the end of lockdown is in sight, companies will be looking ahead and planning their return to the workplace. However, for many companies, this will not mean going back to ‘normal’.
Over the past year, organisations have realised the myriad benefits of flexible and remote working — and many are now considering how they can combine traditional office life with working from home to create a more modern, hybrid approach.
But what implications does this have for cyber security?
Loss of control will be a crucial issue to overcome if you want to introduce a hybrid approach within your business. With employees working across multiple locations away from the protection of corporate networks, you will need to put measures in place to ensure the benefits of flexible working do not outweigh the risks.
Some of these measures include:
- Adopting a zero-trust approach to cyber security. This involves implementing conditional and contextual Identity and Access Management (IAM) processes — including privileged access controls — to ensure that only the people with the appropriate access level and from the right location can view, share and alter company resources.
- Introducing network segmentation and zoning to protect core systems and critical assets whilst guaranteeing that employees can access the information they need and carry out tasks as required, with minimal disruption.
- Using encryption such as multi-factor authentication and enhanced network access controls like secure VPNs.
- Engaging a cloud access security broker to monitor all activity and enforce security policies.
- Utilising Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solutions to provide real-time analysis of security alerts generated by applications and network hardware.
As always, we are here to help you identify any cyber security issues or threats — offering advice that is honest, pragmatic and relevant to your business now.
If you have any questions or queries about how your business can move forward with a hybrid approach, please do not hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com.