Robert Temple – Associate Director
Robert works with the Burning Tree consultancy practice across the entire field of information and network security. His experience ranges from writing corporate security policies to security governance, security architecture and IPR generation in the field of Identity Management.
- Successfully operating a global 250 person £25 million security engineering business unit.
- A decade as BT’s Security CTO, identifying new business opportunities and emerging technology partners.
- Lead Technical Design Authority for security within BT and for our customers.
- Founder Member of the Permanent Stakeholder’s Group of the European Network and Information Security Agency.
- Head of UK Delegation at ISO when what is now the ISO 27000 series of international security standards was born.
- Vice-Chairman of the European Electronic Signature Standardisation Initiative.
- Adviser to the UK government on encryption, interception of communications and emergency response.
- Successful development of a new product portfolio around DDoS and a holistic cyber security service for corporates.
Robert worked for a global telecommunications giant for 27 years and, unusually he has specialised in information and network security for over a quarter of a century. Robert’s experience at BT includes:
- • Head of Group Security Policy
- • Head of IT Security Consultancy Unit
- • Chief Security Architect
- • Director and Chief Architect, BT Security Platform
- • General Manager, BT Assure Cyber
Qualifications and Certifications
Robert holds an MA in Law from Cambridge University and an MBA from Nottingham University. He is a Fellow of the British Computer Society, a Chartered IT Professional, a Member of the Institute of Information Security Professionals, a Certified Information Systems Security Professional and a Certified Information Security Manager.
Scott Valentine – Associate Director
Burning Tree has engaged Scott on a variety of projects in support of their customers. He is delivering engineering expertise to help deliver information and network security solutions. Scott specialises in Identity and Access Management with recent direct experience of the design and implementation of payment solutions for various companies, including most recently for a major UK bank where he designed and implemented secure payment services for mobile devices.
Scott has a strong track record of successful engagements including feasibility studies for the Cabinet Office Identity Assurance Framework on behalf of the Department of Work and Pension’s Universal Credit Program. He has delivered security solutions in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. There he worked alongside the Emirates Identity Authority to integrate third party services into the country’s National Identity Framework for validating UAE citizen information.
Scott has worked for major security vendors such as RSA Security and Thales E-Security by securing digital identities and has designed and delivered Public Key Infrastructure services to various companies including work for the MOD.
Toby Stevens (FBCS CIPP/E CIPM) – Associate, Privacy & Identity Assurance
Toby works with the Burning Tree consultancy practice focused on the filed of data privacy and protection. His experience is grounded in privacy and identity assurance.
Toby who works with clients delivering ‘privacy by design’ solutions for complex systems and project. He has worked in the UK, Europe, Far East and Australia for technology, government and financial services organisations including the likes of ANZ Bank, AVG, Government Digital Service, Post Office, Royal Mail, Vodafone. He is an advisor to the Government Digital Service’s GOV.UK Verify programme, and is currently working with the likes of Pearson Group, the Ministry of Justice and the Charity Commission.
Dan Blum – Associate, Principal Consultant
Dan works with the Burning Tree consultancy practice across the entire field of information security. His experience is grounded in security architecture.
An internationally-recognized expert in security, privacy, cloud computing and identity management Dan Blum develops security architectures, business partnerships, creates content and leads consulting engagements. Formerly, he was a Golden Quill award-winning VP and Distinguished Analyst at Gartner and one of the founding partners of Burton Group.
As a Principal Consultant working with Burning Tree and formerly at Gartner, he has led or contributed to projects such as:
- Cloud security and privacy assessment for a pharmaceutical company with a global customer base
- Full security assessment for a large U.S. health care network following negative audit results
- Security organization review for a major university
- Full security architecture for a large U.S. power company
- Independent evaluation of the U.S. government’s E-Authentication Program
- Directory services architecture for a Swiss bank
- Full security assessment for a Fortune 100 technology company
- Identity management and PKI architectures for a large pharmaceutical
Recently honored as a Privacy by Design Ambassador, he’s authored 2 books, written for numerous publications and participated in standards groups such as CSA, ISACA, OASIS and others.
Doug Simmons – Associate, IT Security Subject Matter Expert
Doug works with the Burning Tree consultancy practice across the entire field of information security. He is an Industry leader in Identity & Access Management
Doug Simmons brings more than 30 years of experience in IT security, risk management and identity and access management (IAM). He has performed hundreds of engagements as the subject matter expert, focused solely on IT security, risk management and IAM. Doug holds a double major in Computer Science and Business Administration.
Doug has performed hundreds of engagements for large enterprise clients in multiple vertical industries including financial services, health care, higher education, federal and state government, manufacturing, aerospace, energy, utilities and critical infrastructure.
Core competency areas for these engagements include risk management, security governance, security assessments, identity lifecycle provision and workflow process automation, authentication, access management, PKI, role engineering, federated identity management, cloud security, mobile device security, data protection and privacy and network security zoning architectures and physical/logical convergence.
Lee Day – Engagement Director
As Engagement Director Lee is responsible for Consulting Services Operations, his primary focus is on quality of delivery and maintaining strong working relationships with our customers throughout the life-cycle of each engagement. He is also responsible for hands-on delivery of services to our customers especially in the areas of Security Assurance, Process Improvement and Bid Management.
Lee has over 35 years experience in a range of industries and a successful track record in management positions for high technology organisations. He has 15 years of experience in the IT Security sector having worked ay RSA Security, BT Global Services and Verizon Business. He has specialist knowledge of Bid Processes, Bid Management Proposal Authoring and significant experience in leading business process improvement initiatives.